Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Can Passionate, Driven People Really Unwind?

Last week my daughter, Gabi, and I went on our annual road trip. This one was different than last year in that I wasn't constantly checking my blackberry or leaving the room early in the morning to attend a conference call. I actually had days where I did not touch a keyboard (note: my hands were twitching!).

We left with no itinerary, visited the Grandparents and found ourselves at Lake Tahoe for the week. We moved around a lot but a favorite place was Resort at Squaw Creek. I highly recommend it!

Since returning on Sunday I've been back on in full swing - on the phone, doing email, attending networking events and in business meetings. Today I had lunch with a couple of business colleagues. They are building their own consulting business specializing in B2B search engine marketing after many years of pouring their heart and soul into other companies. They, like many others I have spoken to recently, have encouraged me to relax, disconnect and take time off. It sounds great, but I can't seem to get into that space. Even during my road trip, I had to stop myself from logging on to email, reading through my RSS feeds or writing my own posts. It is hard to disconnect from the connected world.

There are so many interesting projects and challenges out there that intrigue me. I'm not at a point where I can turn that off. But, I do feel there is need for balance. Being with my daughter over the past few weeks has reminded me that you must invest in all aspects of your life. We give so much to our careers, to the companies we want to help be successful, to the people that we work for and who work for us. We also need to take the time to give to ourselves and to our family, to invest in LIFE!

These two professionals are similar to me - passionate, talented, driven people, yet they found a way to regain balance in life. So for now, I seek balance. I'm not ready to disconnect, but I do want to hear about the boys that enter my daughter's life every day. She doesn't keep them around long enough to withstand my business trips, board meetings, annual review cycles, end of quarter crunch, etc.

To Robyn and Ralph, thanks for showing me that you can still achieve great things and find balance in life! You are my inspiration!

3 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

I think that is a really common syndrome these days, where we're so connected all the time and it's hard to force ourselves to take some time without it.

To Love, Honor and Dismay

 
At 7:49 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160523
adidas yeezy
michael kors outlet
ray bans
michael kors handbags
burberry sale
ray ban sunglasses outlet
michael kors outlet
rolex watches
christian louboutin sale
michael kors outlet clearance
kate spade handbags
coach outlet clearance
michael kors handbags
coach outlet
louboutin femme
louis vuitton bags
nike roshe run
oakley outlet
ray bans
instyler
cheap jordans
rolex watches
michael kors outlet
hollister clothing store
hollister clothing store
coach outlet store
true religion outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores
air jordan 8
michael kors outlet clearance
christian louboutin sale
fitflop clearance
kids lebron shoes
true religion jeans
ralph lauren
toms outlet
coach outlet online
adidas originals store
cheap oakleys
louis vuitton handbags

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This Baltimore Ravens Helmet Logo Pennant is great for displaying your Baltimore Ravens NFL Houston Oilers flags team allegiance in any room of the house or office.Green Bay Packers flags The Baltimore Ravens Helmet Logo Pennant is full size (12" x 30")Detroit Lions flags and is single-sided screen printed with the Baltimore Ravens Officially cheap Denver Broncos flags usa Licensed NFL Helmet and Team insignias,Dallas Cowboys flags as shown. These football pennants are made of felt and provide a sewn pennant sleeve for insertion of a pennant stick,sports flags sale if desired.

Add any accessories to your pennant order with our 6 Pack of Pennant Sticks,wholesale flags Standard Size Pennant Frames, or buy an entire NFL team collection with our NFL Pennant Sets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home