Thursday, September 28, 2006

The real crime at HP

As I logged into blogger tonight I realized it's been almost two weeks since I last posted. I knew I had neglected my blogging world for a while, but I didn't realize it had been two weeks! I wrote so many blog postings in my head that I guess I hadn't realized they didn't make it to the keyboard.

One of the issues I have followed closely recently is the discussion regarding the HP pretexting. While I understand the privacy issue here, I am disappointed at the whole process the HP management team is going through. After all, isn't the real issue for the shareholders of HP the leaks that were occurring? Isn't the real crime the violation of confidentiality agreements that are critical to running a business?

How could this situation be compared to Enron? The Enron executive purposely deceived their shareholders on the health of the business. The HP executive were protecting the shareholders from the leaks that could impact their efforts to turnaround the business.

As an HP shareholder I have enjoyed the upside generated by the efforts of this HP board and their management team. I feel it's a crime to create this level of turmoil at the company, and to these board members reputations, just as they are achieving success in making HP a great company again.

While companies have been cleaning up their act since the days of Enron and Worldcom, did we need something else to create drama? To generate news? I, for one, hope that they can get this issue behind them quickly and get back to work on the great work they have been doing to make HP a successful business once again.